Thieves look for easy and inviting targets when it comes to selecting a vehicle to burglarize or steal from. It is up to you to make every effort to prevent your car from being targeted. Here are some basic tips that will make your vehicle a little less inviting to a thief:
- LOCK your car!
- Always park in well lighted areas
- Install motion lights in your driveway
- Install and use a vehicle alarm
- DO NOT leave valuables in plain view
- Leave all items of value at home if possible
- Look around when you park. Notice anyone or anything suspicious? Write down license plates and descriptions. Alert on-site security or staff and CALL the police.
Many auto burglaries or thefts from cars occur right in a residential driveway and too often it is because the vehicle was never locked. Recent arrests of two suspects revealed that they only targeted cars that were left unlocked, walking up and down a street trying car doors all the way. Take the time to secure your vehicle.
Other thieves target victims by watching what is placed inside a trunk or hatch. If you plan on stopping by the gym, park, or elsewhere after work, take the time before you leave to place your belongings safely in the trunk. Don't wait until you park to then transfer your laptop, purse, bag, or briefcase to the trunk. Thieves may be watching and targeting your car.
These are just a few tips to help prevent you from becoming a victim of auto burglary. Be proactive, look around, and most importantly, don't hesitate to call the police if you see something or someone suspicious. Don't be a victim!