Warmer weather, daylight saving time, summer approaching, are all reasons more pedestrians are hitting the road in the early mornings and evenings. It is important to practice good walking and running safety as a pedestrian. Many factors impact whether or not drivers will see pedestrians. Some vision obscurements and lighting conditions are not controlled by the pedestrian, but we can greatly enhance our safety and visibility with some proactive steps:
- Vary your routes so you are not predictable.
- Avoid dimly lit roads, alleys, and areas.
- Carry identification and a cell phone.
- Walk with a partner or friend.
- Don't approach vehicles stopping near you or in your path.
- Consider personal safety items such as pepper spray.