On a holiday like St. Patrick's Day, there is no doubt that many folks will be celebrating long into the night and some, drinking while partying. The Arcadia Police Department encourages everyone to party responsibly and to not drink and drive. Here are some quick statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA);
Every day, 32 people in the United States die, in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 45 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $51 billion.
Here are a few tips to avoid becoming a DUI statistic:
• Designate a non-impaired driver to take you home or pick you up
• Celebrate at home and stay there
• Be a good host, offer those who have been drinking a place to spend the night
• Call a taxi
• Don't ignore the problem. If you are with someone who is intoxicated, don't let them drive. If you see someone attempting to drive that is under the influence, call the police. Stop the problem before it begins.
• Use a "Tipsy Tow" service. Our local tow company, Jan's Towing, offers a free local ride home for your car and you if you have been drinking. Call (626) 914-1841 for information.
Don't become or cause a DUI statistic! Don't become an unwilling passenger in a police unit! Be responsible, Don't Drink and Drive!