Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Weekly Tip - Install Your License Plates

California law requires all registered vehicles that were issued two license plates, properly display both plates on the vehicle. Basically, all street legal cars are required to have two plates. Many times, vehicles may be purchased from dealerships that do not install a front license plate mount to the vehicle. This is not an excuse for failing to properly display and mount the license plate. A driver may be stopped and cited for not having license plates properly displayed.  Some communities, like Arcadia, issue parking citations to vehicles that are parked without plates properly affixed. Simply having the plate in your car or tossing it on the dash board does not suffice. Please install your license plates according to CVC 5200 and CVC 5201The law was modified in 2011 to also require the plates be mounted so that the characters are upright and display from left to right.  Take a look at the link provided for specific language from the California Vehicle Code. 

1 comment:

  1. I got a ticket for no front license plate after having driven without one for 11 years, and I did not have an extra plate. This is what I did:

    1. Dont lose your ticket. You will need to have a police department sign the back when you show them proof that you got the front plate installed.

    2. Go to the dmv website and fill out a form for new plates. I dont remember exactly which form, but you should have no trouble finding it. Print the form.

    3. Bring form to the DMV AND bring the proper wrench required to remove your back license plate.

    4. After you park at DMV, remove your back plate and bring it in with the form to the DMV. You will be at the DMV in order to turn in your old plate and to get new plates. They will not make one new plate for you to match your old plate.

    5. You will get new plates and registration doc and stickers from the dmv. Install new plates to your car. If you do not have a front plate holder, I suggest to go to the dealer for your car and get one and have it installed. My dealer(Honda) did the install for free.

    6. Bring car to your local police dept and ask them to have an officer look at car and sign back of ticket.

    7. You will receive a notice in the mail from the court at some point. Mail your payment and signed ticket back to the court.

    That it how it all went down for me. You mileage may vary. If you already have the extra plate, you wont need to go to the DMV obviously.