Pokemon Go seems to have taken the mobile app market by storm. You can't drive past a park or downtown area without seeing folks of all ages walking with cell phones in hand, hunting the elusive Pokemon. With the crowds and use of a mobile app come safety concerns we all need to be aware of whether playing ourselves, or allowing our kids to play. Here are some tips to help keep you safe while playing Pokemon Go:
- Don't Play Alone - Play the game in groups, with family or friends. There is safety in numbers.
- Seek Out Poke Stops in Populated, Frequented Areas - Scan and assess the area. Find well lighted areas, malls, shopping districts, or places where folks are gathered to hunt your Pokemon.
- Look Up From Your Phone - Be aware of who and what is around you!
- No Trespassing - Respect private property and closed areas. Following the app compass is great, but avoid venturing where you don't belong...it could land you in jail.
- Respect the Venue - Many poke stops are near places of worship, landmarks, and businesses. Be aware of where you are and act accordingly.
- Don't Pokemon Go and Drive - Tempting as it may be to grab the phone, the game is a huge distraction. Let your passengers play for you if you are in the car. Designate a driver and trade off the duty. Obey all traffic laws! Don't stop in the roadway, don't impede traffic, don't make sudden turning movements! DO be safe!
- PARENTS - Monitor your child's activity and play the game with them. Restrict in-app purchases and limit the time length of play.
- Have Fun!