Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday Tip: Traffic Collisions

So you have just been involved in a traffic accident. You make sure that no one is injured and then you ask yourself, “Now what do I do?” The first time someone is involved in a traffic accident can be a traumatic and overwhelming experience. The good news is that if you are involved in an accident there are only a few things you need to do.

1.       Check for injuries. If there are injuries immediately contact the police department.
2.       If there are no injuries and you can do so, safely move the vehicle(s) out of the roadway and to a spot where you and your vehicle are out of traffic.
3.       Exchange information
a.       In the state of California, and per California Vehicle Code section 16025(a), every driver who has been involved in an accident, and who is physically capable of doing so, must exchange the following information with the other driver or property owner while at the scene of the accident:

·         Driver's name and current residence address
·         Driver's license number
·         Vehicle identification number (License Plate)
·         Current residence address of registered owner
·         Evidence of vehicle insurance
·         Insurance policy number
·         The name and address of the insurance company

Once you have exchanged information you have complied with the law and can leave the scene. If someone refuses to provide any of this information, contact the police department and have an officer respond.

Again, this experience can be overwhelming, so if you are not sure of what to do call the police department and we can walk you through the process.

Please be careful and drive safely.

Officer Ken Lee
Arcadia Police Department
Traffic Bureau 

No comments:

Post a Comment