Tuesday, September 30, 2014
In case you weren't aware, races started at Santa Anita Park on Friday, September 26, 2014. Races will run through November 2, 2014. The races at Santa Anita Park bring lots of people into our community and often times results in heavier traffic than usual. One of the busiest weekends for racing will be the weekend of October 31-November 2, as Santa Anita Park will be the host of the Breeders Cup.
We would like to remind you to allow extra travel time when driving in the area of the race track during race season. APD Officers will be assisting with the traffic flow during peak hours of traffic.
If you have never visited Santa Anita Park, you should. It's an amazing place with a lot of history, right in the center of Arcadia.
Visit Santa Anita Park's website HERE.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Several cities in the area have been experiencing an increased number of thefts targeting third row seats from full sized SUVs. The thieves break into a vehicle, remove the third row seats, and often sell them for profit.
The Arcadia Police Department offers the following tips to prevent these types of thefts:
- When you aren't using the third row seats, leave them at home.
- Check with your car dealership to see if they offer third row seat anti-theft devices.
- Use a lock (ie: bicycle cable lock or third row seat lock) to secure the seat to the floor of the vehicle. Using the lock will make it more of a challenge for the thief and if visible may prevent some thieves from attempting to take the seats.
- Engrave your seat with an identification number such as your driver's license or vehicle license plate number. These seats are not serialized and having an identification number will make identification possible.
- During the hours of darkness, park in a well lit area.
The thefts of third row seats are occurring in both residential and commercial areas, often during the hours of darkness. Please take these tips into consideration if you own an SUV that has third row seats.
Remember, If You See Something, Say Something. Please call us and report suspicious activity.
Tuesday, September 16, 2014
(photo courtesy of sfbike.org)
A new law goes into effect today requiring motorists to allow a minimum of 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist on a roadway. If there isn't enough room to safely pass a bicyclist, the driver must slow down and not pass until there is.
For more information click . https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/newsrel/newsrel14/2014_58.htmw
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
September is National Preparedness Month. FEMA and Ready.gov will be posting excellent topics and information on preparedness throughout September. Here is a link to their website for more information and some great preparedness tips. This year FEMA is encouraging everyone to take part in America's Prepare-A-Thon. For more information click HERE.
The recent earthquake in Napa, CA is a great example of why we all need to be prepared. In California we have many different natural disasters that threaten our safety. Always keep in mind your needs such as food, water, medicine, etc. But don't forget about your pets, neighbors, and community.
FEMA published a video about being prepared called "It started like any other day" that discusses being prepared.